Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Canaan's Birth Story


It's been a few months since our sweet Canaan arrived, and I wanted to carve out some time between nursing and diapers to update the blog with our birth story. Bottom line is it was truly remarkable. 




Canaan Patrick Michael Clancy
September 3, 2017
6 lbs. 11.9 oz. 
19" long 


I was starting to have uncomfortable contractions in the afternoons the week leading up to delivery. I would often work from home in the afternoons because I really did not want to go into labor at work.

^^I didn't make it to 39 weeks (Thank the Lord!), so this is my last weekly update picture. 

^^Shane loved feeling the baby move. 

^^My afternoons were often spent like this. Chugging water in my sweats with my feet propped up! 


Canaan was born Labor Day weekend at 38.5 weeks. When I left the office that Friday before the long weekend, I just knew he would be coming soon. 

That Friday (9/1) we went to a neighbor's house to have pizza. I wasn't cooking much those days, so it was nice to have dinner there! That evening, when we got home, I started having contractions worth tracking. We were up for about 4 hours in the middle of the night, but they were never frequent/long enough to go to the hospital. 

Saturday morning we had a few errands to run, and I wanted to cross the last few things off my to do list before the Georgia game. Mid-day, my contractions were becoming stronger, but still not consistent enough to deem it Baby Day. Shane was sweet and went with me to Publix to get a few things because I didn't want to be alone (just in case!). That evening, I made a big pot of (extra spicy) chili, and our friends came over to watch the game. While they were here, I kept feeling like I needed to go to the bathroom (if you know what I mean), but I just thought it was the chili. 


About the time they left, my contractions really started to ramp up, so I suggested we try and get some rest. Haha! Yah right! Shane slept for about 30 minutes while I labored in the tub. Like I said, we had been up for several hours the night before and had run errands all day, so we were both exhausted. While tracking my contractions in the tub, I knew we were close to Baby Day. I decided to try to rest a bit myself before waking Shane, but as soon as I laid down beside him I hit him with the pillow and screamed for him to pack the car.

By the time we got to the hospital, I was already 3 cm. dilated, and Canaan's head was already past the cervix. (Hints the feeling of needing to go to the bathroom all night!) 


^^Shane was so excited!

We had the choice between a midwife and doctor that were on call, and we chose the midwife after the nurse said she would be more likely to let Shane deliver the baby. I told Shane "you don't have to look "down there" if you don't want to. You can never unsee this ya know?" and he said, "But I will never be able to see it again. There is no way I am missing my son being born!" And he didn't miss a thing! He was front and center with scrubs and gloves on. 
It was so sweet how involved he wanted to be! 

^^Getting suited up!



^^It took Shane a few minutes to wash off and descrub after the delivery, but it was all such a blur. I remember saying "touch him! feel him! touch him!" and putting Shane's hands on the baby. I was so amazed that he was real and finally here in my arms! 


^^Our last few pictures before Canaan's arrival. 

^^Shane's face says it all! We were SO in love.. and still are! 

^^All the emotions of relief and love and amazement! 

^^We were admitted to the hospital just after midnight on Sunday 9/3, and Canaan was born at 9:05 am after about 30 minutes of pushing. 

^^I dreamt of this moment for so long!



^^My Mama was by my side during the delivery, and my dad was there up until it was time to push. It was so sweet to have them with me to experience the birth of their grandson. Somewhere between the epidural and go time, we all took naps in the room. My parents shared the crappy foam mattress in the corner while Shane sat by my side in the chair. I wasn't able to sleep because I was just so darn excited. I felt like a kid on Christmas. It was so awesome to know I was just hours away from meeting my son. I remember holding my belly and listening to his heartbeat over the monitor thinking "I want to remember this forever" and forever I will. 


^^ I FaceTimed with my sister before it was time to push. During our stay at the hospital, I had a nurse named Tina and a nurse named Melissa which was so sweet since my sisters (Tina and Lissa) weren't able to be there!

^^Oh how I miss that belly sometimes! 

^^Canaan had a pretty epic cone head at first! 



^^Skin to skin with Daddy.

^^Canaan looked just like I pictured he would. The spitting image of his handsome Daddy.  



^^Those lips!! 


^^The view of my first night as a Mama! 







^^His sweet little cry was so hoarse. 

^^We did skin to skin in the window to try to keep his jaundice down. 





I have a lot more updates to post on here, and I plan to get caught up before I head back to work. I am really going to try to update the blog frequently so we can look back on all of these special memories. Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment